Monday, May 21, 2007

Sweet Feelings

My current nerdy activity is comparing two recordings of 'Sweet Feelings', a lovers' rock song, one by the Blackstones and one by Paul Dawkins. The Blackstones one has really sweet harmonies and a laid-back summery feel; it's very smooth and soulful and led by the vocals. Paul Dawkin's one seems to sound much more Jamaican, almost like one of the early Bob Marley recordings, and it has a fantastic bounce to the bass drum that makes me feel ludicrously happy. I'd love to play bass in a band with a drummer who played like that!

On the way to work this morning, the Northern Line tube driver made an announcement that made everybody smile, even the grumps: he called us 'You lovely people'. We all suddenly felt lovely, social-worked by a stressed tube driver. How sweet!

And on Friday, I was taking my vandalised car (a pedestrian snapped the wing-mirror off for me on a Sunday afternoon) to be fixed. The traffic halted up ahead and I craned my neck to see what it was. Some mechanics from a local garage had stopped us to let a panicking mummy duck and two ducklings scuttle across the road on to the opposite pavement! It was almost worth the trouble and expense to see a sight like that, especially since the people with the soft hearts were rufty-tufty mechanics in oily overalls, not usually associated with acts of gentleness.
Bless.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Is a duckling a bird that grows down as it grows up?