Friday, May 11, 2007

Song Club

Yes, Song Club. It happens in a little primary school down the road, and I happen it.
This time around we are writing songs based on a visit to the RAF Museum at Colindale, and we're taking the children there next Thursday to see those huge scary planes with their bombing-mission markers and their thousands of rivets.
I was so knackered after yesterdays session- I'd forgotten what it's like trying to have ten eyes on ten very lively children who have been sitting still all day and who want to bounce around like superballs singing at the tops of their voices. But we managed to write the first song- very spontaneously. We are called the Sky High Song Club, and that's what the song's about. We got the benches out, got felt pen on the floor, drank blackcurrant and apple juice, had a chocolate digestive biscuit, tore some paper, each child went to the bathroom once (or was it twice), took off their sweatshirts, lost them, I forgot their names, didn't shout, lost my voice anyway, we put the benches away, said see you next week, and I came home exhausted.

No comments: